[c-nsp] TCP Throughput / MTU problem ? with Cisco 7304 and MPLS VPN's

Eric Kagan eklists at axsne.com
Thu Jan 17 10:04:51 EST 2008

I want to thank everyone for their input and give a quick update.  I created
a better test envorinment that I had full control over (vs being dependent
on a customer setup) and I was able to reproduce the problem.  I ended up
increasing the physical interface MTU (to 1520) vs the MPLS MTU Command
(which I had tried at 1546 and 1520). Once I changed the interface MTU the
traffic passed properly.  I know much of this was mentioned and it was great
to receive such revelant positive feedback to the problem.

I then got an update from Cisco TAC that "certain" Gigabit interfaces had a
"problem" and ingored the MPLS MTU command on the 7304 platform.   There is
a documented Bug (below) associated with this issue, which I had tried to
lookup orignally but did not find one.

Thanks again for all the help and info -

Eric

It looks like you are hitting the internal bug:

CSCeg59156

Increase interface default MTU to 1536
Click to see the enclosure with line wrapping enabled

Problem:
----------
On 7304 traffic with packet size greater than the "interface mtu" gets
dropped when "protocol mtu" is set larger than the "interface mtu", .

This is because the packets are being fragmented based on the protocol
mtu, rather than the interface mtu and the driver code performs sanity
check on the packet size based on the interface mtu.
This results in the following error message being printed.
    NSE100-3-TOOBIG: attempt to send giant packet on GigabitEthernet0/1

So by changing the interface mtu to be the same or greater than the protocol
mtu, the size of the fragmented packet will be equal or less than the
interface
mtu. Thus the packet will go through.

Kind regards,