[c-nsp] MUX-UNI IOS version

Alexandre Snarskii snar at paranoia.ru
Fri Jan 18 04:51:29 EST 2008

On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 01:07:16AM +0100, Peter Rathlev wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Anybody knows what software supports MUX-UNI? All our 7600/SRBx can do
> it, and none of our 6500/SXF6 can. Does any later SXF support MUX-UNI?
> Or do we have to make the jump to SXH? Or SRA on 6500?

For me it works on 65xx/SRA. Documentation for SXH claims that
there is support for MUX-UNI, but I never tried it myself.

> MUX-UNI has been mentioned in the archives as working on SRA, but I
> can't find any specific mention of supported IOS-versions; the feature
> guide for "12.2SX" mentions it, but again no specifics, and Feature
> Navigator doesn't know MUX-UNI.
>
> BTW: It seems MUX-UNI is designed for xconnecting the subinterfaces, but
> using them as regular subinterfaces shouldn't be any problem, right?

Using subinterfaces as 'regular' ones is just impossible: you
have no ability to configure ip address on them:

65xx(config-subif)#ip ?
Interface IP configuration subcommands:
  access-group        Specify access control for packets
  admission           Apply Network Admission Control
  auth-proxy          Apply authenticaton proxy
  dhcp                Configure DHCP parameters for this interface
  header-compression  IPHC options
  rsvp                RSVP interface commands
  vrf                 VPN Routing/Forwarding parameters on the interface