[c-nsp] MPLS on CAT5500

Brandon Price brandon at sterling.net
Fri Jan 18 12:46:26 EST 2008

Guys, I apologize if this is a lame-brain question but
I am new to MPLS...

We have a pretty simple MPLS VPN setup comprised of the following 3
routers:

PE1 <------> P <-----> PE2

PE2 is a new router we are transitioning customers to.
PE1 is 7206VXR 12.4(17)
PE2 is CAT6513/SUP720-3B 12.2(18)SXF12
the P router is a Cat5500 catos6.4(23a)  / RSM ios12.2(46a)

the P to PE2 link is a 1GB link on a WS-X5410 blade.
According to cisco's Catalyst Jumbo Frame documentation this blade does
not
support a larger mtu than 1500.
However if you enable dot1q trunking yet transmit on the native VLAN
the switch will accept an additional 4 bytes.

My question is, since the P router will always be the penultimate hop
in this layout ? will having room for just 1 label be sufficient?

Also the RSM in the cat5500 only supports TDP for label distribution ?
Any potential drawbacks to this?

Thanks,

Brandon Price
Sterling Communications Inc.

/31 <--- The Subnet Formally Known as "Unusable"