[c-nsp] MPLS on CAT5500

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Fri Jan 18 15:26:37 EST 2008

On Sat, 2008-01-19 at 00:17 +0500, Masood Ahmad Shah wrote:
> Someday ago I was talking to one of my Juniper friend and he was saying that
> you can't use one Cisco box as P and PE simultaneously though you can use
> Juniper. If it worked and work like a charm, please share your experience.

A P box does label swapping, PE boxes do label imposition/disposition. I
don't think any MPLS-enabled router (Cisco or otherwise) that can act as
a PE box can't also be used as a P box. Even though theoretically it
would be possible. (And a lot of boxes can be P but not PE.)

A lot of enterprise MPLS VPN setups (smallish) use no dedicated P boxes,
they just have the PE boxes in a ring or some kind of mesh.

Regards,
Peter