[c-nsp] Cisco ME-6524 platform architecture

James Humphris jhumphris at nexagent.com
Wed Jan 23 06:11:16 EST 2008

Dear all,

I stumbled across this excellent forum yesterday whilst trying to gain
some information on the platform architecture of the Cisco ME-6524. I
have been extensively testing this device for a couple of months now,
using a mixture of local switching, multiplex-uni and EoMPLS with
MPLS-TE & FRR. So far, it has performed remarkably well, especially
considering its price point as an entry level device to the Cisco 6500
family.

I do however have a question regarding the platform architecture of the
box. As I'm sure you all know, the architecture of the modular 6500
series is very well documented by Cisco, including details of the
modules (PFC, MSFC etc..),types of ASIC (Pinnacle, Medusa, Earl, Tycho
and Superman etc..) and how they interoperate at a high level.

The part I'm struggling with is how this relates to the fixed
configuration of the ME-6524. I appreciate that its based upon the
SUP-720, and utilises MSFC2A with PFC3C, but I when I issue a "show
asic-version slot 1", I don't see any ASIC names that I recognise:

nsn1#sho asic-version slot 1

Module in slot 1 has 5 type(s) of ASICs

        ASIC Name      Count      Version

             KUMA          1      (2.0)

         HYPERION          1      (6.0)

             R2D2          1      (2.0)

          DHANUSH          2      (2.0)

         VISHAKHA          8      (1.0)

Can anyone help with some more detailed information relating to the
platform configuration of this device?

Many thanks in advance

James Humphris

IP Engineering, Nexagent Ltd.