[c-nsp] Juniper - Cisco Catalyst Fast Ether Channel Load Balancing

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Fri Jan 25 08:06:46 EST 2008

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 07:24:25PM +0700, a. rahman isnaini r.sutan  wrote:
> Both direction, cat 2950.

To repeat my questions, with a few more words:

"Which of the directions do you have problems with the load distribution?"
(it needs to be tuned on the sender side, and we're not the Juniper list,
so for tuning Juniper->Cisco, please go to j-nsp).

"How many ports"?
(load balancing will only work properly on 2-, 4- or 8-port channels)

Besides this, with a 2950, it's a bit tough, since it will only balance
based on ethernet MAC addresses.  So if you have only a few machines
on one side, talking to a single router on the other sides, traffic will
almost always be imbalanced (because everything a single machine sends
to the router will use only use ONE link of the channel).

The direction Juniper->2950 might have different constraints.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de