[c-nsp] Differences between WS-C3750G & WS-C4948-E

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Fri Jan 25 16:57:46 EST 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 14:29 -0500, Matthew Crocker wrote:

> Ok, thanks everyone for your help.  I'm getting there.
>
> If I assign IPs directly to the interfaces I won't use SVIs so the
> switch shouldn't have a problem with what I'm doing.

AFAIK the L3-switches won't care if you use SVIs or "no switchport"
interfaces. Those interfaces use internal VLANs and probably works just
like SVIs.

If you don't use ACLs/QoS classification/PBR/whatever you can easily use
50 routed interfaces (SVIs or routed ports) without problems. We have
lots of CE-boxes with 20-25 SVIs using VRF Lite, no problems. (That goes
for 3550s too btw.)

> Looking at pricing now, the WS-C3750G-48TS-E is $5k more than a WS-
> C4948-E.    The 3750 has StackWise, the 4948 has redundant power + hot
> swap fans.   I can't find any datasheets on the 4948, everything on
> the cisco website is from 3 years ago.  Is it still a viable switch?
> I see that it is based on the 4500 series so that is nice.   Anyone
> know the difference between a 3750G and a 4948?

The 4948 doesn't give you the same L3-features, e.g. VRF Lite, CoPP and
so on. Performance wise it's very good though. So it all depends on what
you're using it for. :-)

Regards,
Peter