[c-nsp] S/W for ASA 5550

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Sun Jan 27 15:05:54 EST 2008

Hello,

I'm tasked with recommending a "stable" software version for an ASA
5550, not that I know a lot about it. :-)

My standard answer would've been to choose the oldest still maintained
version, like 7.0(7) (or 7.0(6) which has an EAL4+ tag), but I can't
seem to find out if ASA 5550 is supported with that version. Until 7.2
release notes, the 5550 isn't mentioned at all.

OTOH it seems like it's just a 5540 with built in 4GE card and a faster
processor. As far as I can see, it doesn't do anything speciel compared
to 5540.

On a side note: Is it really true when they say the 5580-40 can do 14
Gb/s "real life" firewalled throughput at 4 Mpps? The FWSM can do 5.5
Gb/s at 2.8 Mpps according to the data sheet. I don't know the price of
the 5580, but if it's less than twice the price of the FWSM it's very
interesting performance wise...

Thanks,
Peter