[c-nsp] Top 10 Network Engineering Tools

Jeff Aitken jaitken at aitken.com
Mon Jan 28 22:23:11 EST 2008

On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 04:47:27PM -0500, Justin M. Streiner wrote:
> My must-have tools (physical):
> 4. wire cutter/leatherman
> 8. jumpers - if not pre-made, include ends and tools to make them

A brief note on these two: if you're going to be making cables (copper or
fiber) it's worth it to spend the time & money to learn how to do it right,
including having the right tools.  For example, just because a dull knife
or small flathead screwdriver will work in a pinch, you really should
invest in a nice punchdown tool.  I'll never forget the time one of our
"techs" was putting ends on a fiber jumper using the unicam kit.  They had
lost/damaged the cleaver and were using garden-variety scissors (you know,
the kind with the blue plastic handles?!) to cut the fiber to length...
I know, I know, it saves money on attenuators, but still! :-)

If you're going to be touching anything power related, a volt meter might
help keep the magic smoke where it belongs... there is another funny story
about an unnamed facility engineer (we called him sparky, for obvious
reasons) who thought he'd do some DC plant work in the middle of the day.
While holding a *LIVE* -48v lead in his hand he managed to short it to the
rack he was working on.  Luckily he didn't kill himself, or anyone else,
but he did knock out the DC plant for about 10 minutes... at noon... doh!

--Jeff