[c-nsp] Nexus 7000

Lincoln Dale (ltd) ltd at cisco.com
Tue Jan 29 00:08:25 EST 2008

mack wrote:
> Has anyone looked at this monster?
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9402/index.html

note that the Nexus 7000 is announced, it isn't yet shipping.

> It looks like it only comes with two blades:
> 10GE and copper 10/100/1000

those are the initial I/O modules, more on the way.

> If it has higher throughput than the CRS-1,
> Where does that leave the CRS-1?

Cisco CRS-1 is targeted at Service Provider deployments.
Cisco Nexus 7000 is primarily targeted at Enterprise Data Centers.

to the extent that feature-sets between these two areas overlap, they
have similar features, but from a SP standpoint, there are some things
that we (deliberately) haven't done on Nexus 7000 at this point because
we want to be clear on where its targeted - Enterprise Data Centers -
and less so service provider requirements.

in short: it generally doesn't overlap with either the existing CRS-1,
c7600 or c6500.

Pete Templin wrote:
> Call me crazy, but I got no sense that this new thingy can route, from
> the little video or any of the data sheets.  They'd be spouting the
pps
> of IPv6 hardware routing, if it could.

with initial I/O modules & chassis, up to 240M PPS IPv6 h/w switched
goodness.

cheers,

lincoln.