[c-nsp] Nexus 7000

Tim Donahue tdonahue at vonsystems.com
Tue Jan 29 15:25:25 EST 2008

Quoting Justin Shore <justin at justinshore.com>:

> Tim Stevenson wrote:
>> At 10:18 PM 1/28/2008 -0600, mack observed:
>>> No mention of MPLS though which gives the CRS-1 a leg up on the
>>> backbone routing market.
>>
>> NO MPLS (though the h/w is capable). No immediate plans for it either.
>
> This would be a show-stopper for us in our Data Center.  We have to have
> MPLS support for MPLS VPN.  How else are they planning on maintaining
> VRF separation between customers across multiple chassis in a hosted
> environment?

[snip]

> Say it with me everyone, MPLS MPLS MPLS.  It's silly to build any device
> without MPLS support.

I think that you and Cisco are using different definitions of the term
'Data Center'.  From my understanding, this product is targeted at the
Enterprise Data Center, not for a Service Provider Data Center.

I agree that it would be silly to build a device that targets the SP
market without MPLS, however, your average 'Enterprise' data center
environment does not use MPLS throughout.  For a device that targets
this market, I think it would be silly for them to waste resources
putting a MPLS feature set into a device that would typically never
need it.  In the Enterprise, MPLS typically exists on the network edge
for WAN connections, not throughout the network like a Service
Provider would require.

--
Tim Donahue