[c-nsp] BGP line prioritization

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Jan 30 16:06:17 EST 2008

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 01:50:30PM -0600, Pete Templin wrote:
> Gert Doering wrote:
> > Get the Halabi book, and make yourself familiar with the BGP decision
> > process and how to fine tune it in IOS.
>
> Ouch.

Well, sorry if that was blunt, but it was much more polite than what
my first thought was - "someone who needs to ask such question should
better not be injecting prefixes into the global BGP routing system".

> At least recommend a more palatable book (and one that's closer
> to real life), such as BGP Design and Implementation.

I like the Halabi book - and I know a number of very capable network
engineers that have learnt BGP from it (or even the PDF document that
was available before the book was printed).

It might not be fresh from the press, and maybe it has no glossy pages
- but then: the small bits that have changed since then (like IPv6, or
bgp deterministic-med) can easily picked up by someone who has fully
grokked the underlying principles.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de