[c-nsp] 12410 or 7690-S for BGP transits

William Jackson wjackson at sapphire.gi
Thu Jan 31 04:00:50 EST 2008

Hi all

I am looking for a platform for the BGP peering edge of our network,
this will have multiple full BGP tables and carry all our transit
traffic.

We expect to have between 5-10 gbps of initial traffic capacity and
expect to grow over the net couple of years.

We are all Ethernet based shop.

I am considering two options:

Option 1:

12410 ( with 2 * PRP2 and SIP601 line cards ) running IOS XR

7609-S ( with 2 * RSP720-3CXL and Sip-600 line cards )

The requirements are for:

Carrier grade equipment

High availability

ISSU, NSF and SSO

We require these devices to have as many high availability features as
possible to provide as much of a "continuous operation" scenario as
possible.

I heard that the new 720-3CXL has a very fast 100msec switchover whilst
the 12XXX was a lot slower to converge in a failure scenario??

Any recommendations and pointers of caveats etc to consider?

Many thanks