[c-nsp] Cisco VSS monitoring through Syslog/SNMP-traps

Sukumar Subburayan (sukumars) sukumars at cisco.com
Tue Jul 1 07:40:35 EDT 2008

For Complete VSL failure, we have SNMP trap, that can be configured using:

vss(config)#snmp-server enable traps vswitch ?
  vsl  Enable SNMP Virtual Switch Link (VSL) notification

For Active supervisor failure, you can monitor the following syslog message:

PFREDUN-SW2_SPSTBY-6-ACTIVE: Initializing as Virtual Switch ACTIVE processor

If the message comes from 'SW2' it means that previous active(SW1) went down.

For standby supervisor failure, the VSL link will go down, as entire standby is down. So, you could use the
VSL link trap.

Additionally following syslogs are printed on the active, when standby goes down:

%VSLP-SW2_SP-2-VSL_DOWN:   All VSL links went down while switch is in ACTIVE role

or this:

%PFREDUN-SW2_SP-6-ACTIVE: Standby supervisor removed or reloaded, changing to Simplex mode

sukumar