[c-nsp] seeing VLAN-tagged device with layer 2 switch

Rogelio scubacuda at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 14:10:38 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 10:47 AM, Jay Hennigan <jay at west.net> wrote:

> Rogelio wrote:
>
>> I've got an interesting problem.  I've got some non-Cisco wireless units
>> that are VLAN tagged, and for whatever reason, they're not working, and I'm
>> going to need to pull them down from a roof and troubleshoot them.
>>
>> Any ideas on what I might do to see them if I were to use a layer 2
>> non-VLAN-friendly switch?  That's all I have immediately available.
>>

> Crossover cable and ifconfig on any *nix box or Macintosh to set up the
> appropriate VLAN.

For what it's worth, here's a HOWTO on doing this

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/howto-configure-linux-virtual-local-area-network-vlan.html

As you can see, different flavors of Linux do things quite differently...

But here is one method of doing it (according to the above URL)

Create the interface

# vconfig add eth0 5

# ifconfig eth0.5

# ifconfig eth0.5 192.168.1.100 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast
192.168.1.255 up

Check the interface
# cat /proc/net/vlan/eth0.5

Kill the interface when you're done