[c-nsp] Route Reflector Design

Tim Franklin tim at pelican.org
Wed Jul 2 10:23:05 EDT 2008

On Wed, July 2, 2008 2:48 pm, Mike Johnson wrote:

> Got that, now for a large network would you create a backbone area (OSPF)
> for regionalization of routes
> and make routers within the region into other areas? Its the underlying
> IGP
> design that makes all the connector nets to POPs available my main
> concern.

I wouldn't bother, unless you have many thousands of devices - but I must
admit I haven't crunched the numbers hard or built anything large enough
to see where the necessary pain happens.

Remember, at this point you've only got a fairly small number of routes in
your IGP, and they ought to be the most stable routes in your network, so
you're going to be running SPF both quickly and infrequently.

Regards,
Tim.