[c-nsp] Route Reflector Design

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Jul 2 22:14:36 EDT 2008

On Wednesday 02 July 2008 23:47:34 Pete Templin wrote:

> I went from OSPF to ISIS a few years ago for several
> reasons.  The relevant reasons are:

One of the biggest reasons we made the switch is that IS-IS
allows us to "string" our network across the globe easier
than OSPF, because OSPF has the "all areas must connect to
the backbone area" rule - and we don't like virtual links.

All other reasons were gravy; although we do like the fact
that v6 is implemented in the same IS-IS protocol as v4.

> 1) We have some use for Catalyst 3550s in our network,
> and AFAIK they don't speak ISIS.

This is very annoying.

We had a chat with our SE, and the DSBU are considering
supporting IS-IS (initially for v4) on the 3560G (which we
have a lot of) some time next year.

> 2) We're having extreme pain trying to bring up ISIS for
> IPv6.

What kinds of issues?

Mark.