[c-nsp] Route Reflector Design

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Jul 2 22:17:36 EDT 2008

On Wednesday 02 July 2008 23:34:42 Mike Johnson wrote:

> How am I able to utilize thousands of devices in a flat
> IGP domain? I thought
> only a couple hundred is recommended before deploying
> multiple areas.

Our school of thought has always been, build scalability
from the beginning even though you only have 2 routers in
the network, i.e.:

* support BGP peer groups or peer session templates from
  day one.

* support route reflectors from day one.

* support multi-area/multi-level IGP designs from day one.

* support Loopbacks in the IGP and prefixes in iBGP from
  day one.

One never knows when the network is going to explode - it
saves you a lot of hassle and potential re-design, down the
line.

Probably the same reason most folk will buy a router/switch
with full flash/memory from day one, even when it probably
won't have BGP from the onset.

Cheers,

Mark.