[c-nsp] ASA questions

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Thu Jul 3 06:54:46 EDT 2008

Hi Skeeve,

On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 20:38 +1000, Skeeve Stevens wrote:
> I am looking for an ASA with the primary use being to stop DDoS attacks
> which one of my customers is getting slammed with.
>
> Need at least a couple of hundred meg throughput.. Preferably in transparent
> mode.
>
> Couple of questions:
> - Is an SSM needed to do DoS protection?

The ASA code can protect against things like SYN flood (embryonic and
half-open connection limits) and you can do rate limiting. If you need
more advanced (e.g. signature based) protection, you'd need something
like the AIP-SSM. But the ASA does a good job on it's own.

> - The 5550 can't take an SSM?

No, the 5550 can't take an SSM, since the slot is already taken by a 4
port GigabitEthernet module, which cannot be removed.

> - Is the transparent protection functional in dot1q VLAN's? (If I want
> to run multiple carriers into a switch then into the ASA and back out)

Yes, you can run multiple transparent firewall interface pairs,
filtering each pair seperately, if that is what you mean.

Regards,
Peter