[c-nsp] Quick spanning-tree and bridge-group question

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Fri Jul 4 13:30:28 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 18:17 +0100, Sam Stickland wrote:
> Apologies I pasted some info where the path costs didn't total up to be
> the same. Here's the correct one.

Well, I jumped up and answered wrongly then. ;-)

> The total path cost is 723 on every interface, the port priority on the
> Serial interface is higher.
>
> The only logical conclusion appears to be that it's comparing the bridge
> IDs  before the port priority? Isn't this supposed to be the other way
> around?

Isn't port priority the last thing the Spanning Tree Algorithm looks at?
AFAIK the selection of root port should be, in order: Root Bridge ID,
Port Path Cost, Sending Bridge ID and at last Sending Port ID, which is
Port Priority and Port Index.

Are the three ports all pointing towards the root bridge?

Regards,
Peter