[c-nsp] Shutting Down Catalyst 6509?

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Sat Jul 5 02:25:31 EDT 2008

Felix Nkansah wrote:
> Thanks guys.
>
> I thought it has some special shutdown procedures or commands.

Some of the linecards should be commanded to shutdown prior to cutting
power to the chassis.  Interface linecards aren't a concern but those
that have special functions are essentially servers on a linecards.
IDSM2, FWSMs, ACEs, SLBs, and the WebVPN module I believe are examples
of linecards that should be told to shutdown gracefully before cutting
off power to the chassis.  Figure out which modules are in what slot
with 'show module' and then use 'hw-module module X shutdown' to
shutdown the appropriate modules.  'show module' will tell you when the
linecard is offline.

Justin