[c-nsp] Shutting Down Catalyst 6509?

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Mon Jul 7 00:40:08 EDT 2008

Mark Tinka wrote:
> On Friday 04 July 2008 20:54:48 Felix Nkansah wrote:
>
>> Thanks guys.
>>
>> I thought it has some special shutdown procedures or
>> commands.
>
> Which is something we wish for on Cisco's new ASR line,
> seeing as it has a hard drive and all.
>
> Current documented procedure to shutdown the ASR is to
> reload as normal, then power-off the PSU's when you see the
> Bootloader - not very elegant.

How the heck would something like that make it past QA? I've never in my
life worried about corrupting a router, switch, or any associated
modules. One would think that some kind of battery-backed write cache
similar to how RAID controllers deal with unexpected power loss could be
used. I've never priced an ASR but they certainly don't look cheap.

~Seth