[c-nsp] 6500 port capabilities and port mappings

Jimmy Stewpot squid at oranged.to
Wed Jul 9 11:06:12 EDT 2008

Hello,

I have been working on diagnosing an issue where certain servers have
been experiencing poor network performance over a pvlan network. Through
diagnostics I have found a few points which I would like to try and
understand a little better.

The switch is a 6500 running in hybrid ios/catos. The blade in question
is a WS-X6516A-GBIC.

When I run the following command I get the "Maximum Allowed Mappings:"
variable of 32.

show port capabilities 3/14
Model                       WS-X6516A-GBIC
Port                        3/14
Type                        1000BaseT
Auto MDIX                   no
AuxiliaryVlan               no
Broadcast suppression       percentage(0-100)
Channel                     yes
COPS port group             3/13-16
CoS rewrite                 yes
Dot1q-all-tagged            yes
Dot1x                       yes
Duplex                      full
Fast start                  yes
Flow control                receive-(off,on,desired),send-(off,on,desired)
Inline power                no
Jumbo frames                yes
Link debounce timer         yes
Link debounce timer delay   yes
Membership                  static,dynamic
Port ASIC group             3/10,3/12,3/14,3/16
Port VLAN Mapping           Group: 3/9-16     Maximum Allowed Mappings: 32
QOS scheduling              rx-(1p1q4t),tx-(1p2q2t)
Security                    yes
SPAN                        source,destination
Speed                       1000
Sync restart delay          yes
ToS rewrite                 DSCP
Trunk encap type            802.1Q,ISL
Trunk mode                  on,off,desirable,auto,nonegotiate
UDLD                        yes

 From reading through the Cisco documentation I have been able to find
very little which actually tells me what that means. We currently have
well over 126 mappings on the port in question and have been having no
other issues. Can someone tell me what that really means?

Regards,

Jimmy.