[c-nsp] GPON

mail.ag mail.ag at foghorn.nit.gwu.edu
Wed Jul 9 13:37:51 EDT 2008

Mike Johnson wrote:
> Does anybody have any GPON experience on the list?
>
> If so I am looking for Pros and Cons for implementing this for the CAN.
>
> Is there a power savings or the power requirement just pushed out to the
> desktop?
> hardware required to build a PON? OLTs, ONT/ONUs, splitters?
> How is GPON managed?
> Pice comparisons?
>
> Basically whatever info you have outside the classic definition,
>
> harbor235 ;}

We're in the middle of our first deployment of EPON for a dorm near our
campus.  I'm not sure I can address your questions on power
requirements, as our current network topology is fiber to the desk which
has very different power requirements than a standard copper network.

My initial choice would have been to go with GPON because of its
additional downstream bandwidth and potential for more ONT vendors
(assuming a good interop picture).  However, because of lead times and
deadlines, we went with EPON for this site.

We selected Wave7 Optics as our vendor.  Two things that drove this
decision: an 8 port ONT (8 each of voice/video/data) and GPON/EPON
support in the same chassis.

We're supposed to go live August 1.  I'll have more details then :)

Good luck.