[c-nsp] Question on 7204vxr modules

Steven Pfister SPfister at dps.k12.oh.us
Thu Jul 10 08:58:26 EDT 2008

We have a 7204vxr currently in use as our border router. As part of a transition of our upstream bandwidth from an ATM connection to gigabit Ethernet, we need to replace some of the modules.

The router currently has a PA-A6-OC3MM module connecting to our service provider (in the lower right slot). The IO controller has 2 FE/E ports (don't have the part number). We want to replace the IO controller with a c7200-I/O-GE+E and the other module with a PA-GE. Our questions are:

- As a first step, we're going to replace the I/O controller with the new one using a FE GBIC, and put the PA-GE in along with the PA-A6-OC3MM until its time to cut over to gigabit Ethernet. Is there any restrictions on where we can put the PA-GE during this time? Can it be any slot?
- Where is the configuration stored? Is it on the flash card? When we put the new IO controller in, can we just move the flash card over?

Thanks!

Steve Pfister
Technical Coordinator,
The Office of Information Technology