[c-nsp] Question on 7204vxr modules

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Thu Jul 10 12:31:47 EDT 2008

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008, Steven Pfister wrote:

> We have a 7204vxr currently in use as our border router. As part of a
> transition of our upstream bandwidth from an ATM connection to gigabit
> Ethernet, we need to replace some of the modules.
>
> The router currently has a PA-A6-OC3MM module connecting to our service
> provider (in the lower right slot). The IO controller has 2 FE/E ports
> (don't have the part number). We want to replace the IO controller with
> a c7200-I/O-GE+E and the other module with a PA-GE. Our questions are:
>
> - As a first step, we're going to replace the I/O controller with the
> new one using a FE GBIC, and put the PA-GE in along with the PA-A6-OC3MM
> until its time to cut over to gigabit Ethernet. Is there any
> restrictions  on where we can put the PA-GE during this time? Can it be
> any slot?
> - Where is the configuration stored? Is it on the flash card? When we
> put the new IO controller in, can we just move the flash card over?

You don't mention what type of processor engine you're using, so there are
a number of caveats to consider.

You will not get anywhere close to line-rate out of a PA-GE, regardless of
what processor you're using.  It's a limitation of the PCI buses on that
platform.  If you need closer to gig-e line-rate on a VXR, you really want
to replace the processor blade with an NPE-G1 or NPE-G2, plus those
processors have compact flash slots for storing images and so forth.

Also note that many processors for the 7200/XVR are at or near the
end of their life cycle, so getting support may be an issue, should you
need it.  In fact, everything except the NPE-G1 and G2 are at least
end-of-sale now - the NPE-400 went end-of-sale earlier this year and most
of the rest are already end-of-life/support.

The config is stored in NVRAM, which I think is on the NPE, but you still
need a flash/CF clot available for to hold IOS images, crash dumps, etc.

If you're running an older NPE, like a 225, 300, 400 or NSE-1, I don't
think those have built-in flash/CF slots, so you'd still need an I/O
controller for its flash slot.

The VXRs have two PCI busses, one covers slots 0/1/3/5 and the other
covers slots 2/4/6.  Each bus is limited to 600 'bandwidth points', so any
configuration of port adapters is valid as long as each bus stays under
600 points.  That can be tricky.  A PA-GE is 400 points by itself.  That's
another reason to look at an NPE-G1 or G2.  It has built-in GE ports, so
they don't touch the PCI busses and are not subject to the bandwidth point
limitations like the PA slots.

jms