[c-nsp] ASA or FRSW in transparent mode over qinq

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Fri Jul 11 13:55:20 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 15:32 +0200, Raul Lopez Nevot wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 6:18 PM, Christian Koch <christian at broknrobot.com>
> wrote:
>
> > but FWSM scales to 4 per chassis, which is 2000 contexts, 20gbps throughput
> > ..'on paper'...
> >

> As far as I heard, now a single FWSM can scale to 50Gbps if you have a
> Supervisor 720-10G-3C and don't want stateful inspection...

The FWSM has a 6x1GB Etherchannel connection to the switch, so 50 Gbps
seems a little much. Even then, a FWSM without stateful inspection would
be a little pointless. The Sup720 can use L4 access-lists in hardware,
so no reason to throw money away on the extra hardware.

Regarding the scaling: A single FWSM can handle multi gigabit traffic in
hundreds of contexts. Ten of these can do ten times that amount. :-)
Just like having more than one router in a POP, there's nothing keeping
you from having multiple FWSM installations, spreading the customers
among them.

Regards,
Peter