[c-nsp] BGP - unsupported parameter - peer reset

Vikas Sharma vikassharmas at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 00:07:50 EDT 2008

Hi,

I have mpls network where I am connecting ERX (juniper box) as PE to cisco
12 k (vpnv4 route reflector). At all locations itsworking fine except one
and showing me on ERX unsupported capabilities.

from ERX -

We received an unsupported-capability notification from this peer.
    This indicates that the peer does not ignore unrecognized capabilities.
    We received the notification before we received an open from this peer.
    As a result we cannot guess which capabilities are supported by the
peer.
    We won't advertise capabilities with known interoperability problems.
  Capability advertisements:
    Capabilities option: send
    Dynamic capability negotiation: send
    Deprecated dynamic capability negotiation: send
    Multi-protocol extensions: send
    Route refresh: send
    Route refresh (Cisco proprietary): send
    Four octet AS numbers: send
    Graceful restart:
  Graceful restart negotiation:
    Restart time is 120 seconds
    Stale paths time is 360 seconds
    The last time that the session was in state established:
      We did not send the graceful-restart capability
      We did not receive the graceful-restart capability
  Total of 20782 messages sent, 20639 messages received
  0 update messages sent, 0 update messages received

As per rfc3392, if bgp speaking router does not understand optional
community, it should ignore it and should not try to re-establish the
session. I am attaching the status of sh ip bgp vpnv1 a s for the ref.

on ERX -

sh ip bgp vpnv4 all s
Local router ID 212.74.69.117, local AS 8220
  Administrative state is Start
  BGP Operational state is Up
  Shutdown in overload state is disabled
  Default local preference is 100
  IGP synchronization is disabled
  Default originate is disabled
  Auto summary is disabled
  Always compare MED is disabled
  Compare MED within confederation is disabled
  Advertise inactive routes is disabled
  Advertise best external route to internal peers is disabled
  Enforce first AS is enabled
  Missing MED as worst is disabled
  Route flap dampening is disabled
  Log neighbor changes is enabled
  Fast External Fallover is disabled
  No maximum received AS-path length
  BGP administrative distances are 20 (ext), 200 (int), and 200 (local)
  Client-to-client reflection is enabled
  Cluster ID is not configured (local router ID used)
  Route-target filter is enabled
  Default IPv4-unicast is enabled
  Check next-hops of vpn routes is disabled
  Redistribution of iBGP routes is disabled
  Graceful restart is globally disabled
  Global graceful-restart restart time is 120 seconds
  Global graceful-restart stale paths time is 360 seconds
  Graceful-restart path selection defer time is 360 seconds
  Graceful-restart is not ready to switch to the standby SRP
  The last restart was not graceful
  Address family ipv4:vpn-unicast in core VRF operationally down due to IPv6
     not present
  Local-RIB version 2. FIB version 2.

                                                Messages  Messages  Prefixes
Neighbor           AS State       Up/down time      Sent  Received  Received
212.74.69.112    8220 Idle         2d 06:25:40     18301     18166        0

212.74.69.113    8220 Idle         4d 11:06:33     20934     20788         0

these are two route reflectors connected to this PE. We have one more PE
(again ERX box), which does not have any issue.

For your ref. I am also attaching working and non-working ERX, sh ip bgp v a
nei "" output

working ERX -

 Capability advertisements:
    Capabilities option: sent, received
    Dynamic capability negotiation: sent
    Deprecated dynamic capability negotiation: sent
    Multi-protocol extensions: sent, received
    Route refresh: sent, received
    Route refresh (Cisco proprietary): sent, received
    Four octet AS numbers: sent
    Graceful restart:
  *Multi-protocol extensions negotiation:
    ip-v4 vpn-unicast: sent, received, used
*  Dynamic capability negotiation:
    Multi-protocol extensions: sent
    Route refresh: sent
    Graceful restart: sent
    Route refresh (Cisco proprietary): sent
  Graceful restart negotiation:
    Restart time is 120 seconds
    Stale paths time is 360 seconds
    We did not send the graceful-restart capability

Non- working ERX -

 Capability advertisements:
    Capabilities option: send
    Dynamic capability negotiation: send
    Deprecated dynamic capability negotiation: send
    Multi-protocol extensions: send
    Route refresh: send
    Route refresh (Cisco proprietary): send
    Four octet AS numbers: send
    Graceful restart:
  Graceful restart negotiation:
    Restart time is 120 seconds
    Stale paths time is 360 seconds

Note- I can see the diference as in working I can see multiprotocol extensio
negotiations while I can not see the same in non-working.

Since the message states issue with 12k !!!, which I am not sure abt,
sending this to cisaco-mail ;)

Regards,

Vikas Sharma