[c-nsp] FWSM with multiple vlans, NAT quandry...

Jeff Kell jeff-kell at utc.edu
Mon Jul 14 11:40:29 EDT 2008

I seem to have backed myself into a corner and am looking for suggestions...

Our campus is largely RFC1918 internally.  The original hub-and-spoke
design was along the lines of assigning a 10.x.x.x/16 or larger block to
significant buildings, so each building was it's own routed domain
address block, e.g., 10.building.subnet.host.

This allows some "interesting" access control lists by using
non-contiguous wildcard masks for certain things.  If routers/switches
are all on subnet zero, for example, you can permit access to them by
using something like 'permit ip 10.0.0.0 0.255.0.255' and it covers all
the buildings in one statement.

Life was good until we started down a VRF-lite path to isolate the
infrastructure, common areas, and "isolated" functional areas into their
own VRFs.  So now we have things like:

   10.building.0.x   infrastructure (global VRF)
   10.building.16.x  general campus
   10.building.32.x  business users
   10.building.48.x  guest access
   10.building.64.x  private areas (e.g., security video)

For the most part, each VRF is it's own domain, but there are necessary
"leaks" we need to manage between VRFs, and we're trying to do it with a
FWSM.

Each VRF feeds a vlan into the FWSM, and I'm trying to define the
"allowed" leakage.  For example, network administrators need access to
several VRFs, system administrators need access to several VRFs, and
most all of the VRFs need access to the "outside".

There's no need for "real" NAT since the IP address space does not
overlap, but I'm trying to use NAT control to define which VRFs can
communicate with other VRFs.

I'd like to use identity NAT, but "only" between the allowed VRFs.  But
identity NAT defaults to ALL interfaces.

You can use a static identity NAT, but since NAT doesn't allow
discontiguous network masks, there's a LOT of configuration to be done
to cover the addresses in use (must duplicate for each building).

Is there a better way to accomplish this?  (other than going back and
renumbering IPs into a 10.VRF.building-subnet scheme that lends itself
better to the problem at hand?)

Jeff