[c-nsp] Private VLANS w/ Promiscuous port a trunk port?

Rafael Rodriguez Rafael.Rodriguez at msmc.com
Tue Jul 15 15:37:21 EDT 2008

Hello all,

I am trying to figure out if the following will work:

Have a 6500 w/ sup2/msfc2 Native IOS.
Would like to configure some ports as Isolated Private VLAN ports.
These Isolated ports need to only speak to a 802.1q trunk port I have.
I believe I can't configure this 802.1q trunk port as a .1q trunk and a
Promiscuous port "switchport mode private-vlan promiscuous" at the same
time (its either "switchport mode trunk" or switchport mode priavte-vlan
promiscuous" - not both).
The .1q trunk port will carry lots of other VLANS. Behind this .1q trunk
port will be the L3 device responsible for the L3 portion of the Private
VLAN.

I need to make sure the Private VLAN can talk to the L3 device behind
the .1q trunk port... The .1q trunk port is kind of like a
router-on-a-stick.

# VID 100 Private VLAN
# VID 101 Isolated VLAN

vlan 100
 private-vlan primary

vlan 101
 private-vlan isolated

vlan 100
 priavte-vlan association 101

interface GigabitEthernet1/1
 switchport
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 100-200
 switchport mode trunk
 no ip address
 load-interval 30
 spanning-tree portfast trunk

interface GigabitEthernet1/2
 switchport
 switchport mode private-vlan host
 switchport private-vlan host-association 100 101
 spanning-tree portfast

Will something like that work?

Cheers,

RR