[c-nsp] ASA connectivity issues

Eric Gauthier eric at roxanne.org
Wed Jul 16 09:09:53 EDT 2008

Hello,

We've had an ASA5500 online for about two years providing
VPN services for wireless users on our campus (v8.0(3)).
Starting over the weekend, we've encountered a problem
where users can connect and authenticate, but traffic isn't
passing through the box (i.e. client side show transmit data
but nothing received back).  Moreover, it appears to "come
and go" in two ways.  First, if your client connects and
you wait long enough (~10 - 20 mins), traffic magically
starts flowing.  Second, the issue in general seems to
disappear over night, which is leading us to think that
its some sort of new client (iphone maybe?) in the
field but Cisco is saying that they haven't heard any
reports of this type of issue.

The last time we made a configuration change was in April,
so we're at a loss for what might be causing this.  We've
had a TAC case open for a few days, but they haven't made
much progress.

Is anyone else seeing similar behavoir?

Eric :)