[c-nsp] "Total output drops" - congestion ? - 7200-VXR

Rolf Mendelsohn rolf-web at internet.ao
Wed Jul 16 11:51:03 EDT 2008

Hi Guys,

This really depends on the speed of the Interface and what is connected on the
other side.

We had a Serial Satellite link of 5M, which was never running higher than
4.5M - due to regular bursty traffic.

After increasing the queue (fair-queue 320 256 0) the link now does about
4.9M, without drops & without any significant increase in latency.

I guess the default WFQ size might be a bit small for some links.
I also think that hold-queue is only relevant if you are using FIFO queuing.

Alternatively WRR queuing could help.

cheers
/rolf