[c-nsp] ME6524 alternative

Rubens Kuhl Jr. rubensk at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 17:43:10 EDT 2008

>> After an initial deployment with many ME6500's (ME6524-24GT-8S to be
>> exact), we are finding too difficult to deal with Cisco for the
>> expansion. What clear alternatives are available from other vendors or
>> either from Cisco as a nice MPLS router with Ethernet only interfaces,
>> even with less backplane or with 10/100 access interfaces ?
>
> Out of curiosity, what problems are you having?  Is it a hardware issue or a
> service issue?  I have a couple ME6524s and have been happy with them.  We
> also have some ME3750s and they've been good too.  The MEs are designed for
> specific solutions.

Cost issues and the relationship wit the local subsidiary; we have
very little problems with the ME6500, one being the BFD with SVIs
issue that you don't like either if I recall correctly.

Are you sure ME3750s are doing good for your network ? We had tons of
issues with 3750-Metro, a product that I strongly recommend for my
competitors... we haven't tested ME3400 which sound very nice (but
doesn't have MPLS) or 4500 with Sup-VI (no MPLS on the software yet).

Rubens