[c-nsp] 3750's, 7200 NPE-G1 and GEC advice

mb at adv.gcomm.com.au mb at adv.gcomm.com.au
Tue Jul 22 22:18:33 EDT 2008

Hi,

Just after some "best practice" advice on the following:

We have two 3750's(3750E-24TD-S) stacked, and a 7200 w/NPE -G1 - We are
wanting to connect two of the GigE ports of the NPE to both 3750's(In
case one switch fails) - We currently have it setup as port-channels,
which is working fine, but wanted to confirm if this was the "correct"
method to achieve redundancy, and also additional bandwidth between the
3750's + 7200.

During minimal testing, we lose ~2 packets if a cable is
disconnected(If the session(ping) is running over that cable) - Is
there anyway to reduce this?

Current conf..

7200:

! interface Port-channel1 description GEC_to_3750s no ip address duplex
full hold-queue 150 in ! interface GigabitEthernet0/1 description
TO_3750_1_0_24 no ip address duplex full speed auto media-type rj45
negotiation auto channel-group 1 ! interface GigabitEthernet0/2
description TO_3750_2_0_24 no ip address duplex full speed auto
media-type rj45 negotiation auto channel-group 1 !

3750s:

interface Port-channel1 description GEC_to_7200 switchport trunk
encapsulation dot1q switchport mode trunk ! interface
GigabitEthernet1/0/24 description TO_7200_GE_0_1 switchport trunk
encapsulation dot1q duplex full channel-group 1 mode on spanning-tree
portfast ! interface GigabitEthernet2/0/24 description TO_7200_GE_0_2