[c-nsp] Renaming interfaces on a PIX 525

Steven Pfister SPfister at dps.k12.oh.us
Thu Jul 24 08:44:02 EDT 2008

I wasn't actually proposing to have the same ip address on two interfaces, but to take it off one before putting it on another.

Steve Pfister
Technical Coordinator,
The Office of Information Technology
Dayton Public Schools
115 S. Ludlow St.
Dayton, OH 45402

Office (937) 542-3149
Cell (937) 673-6779
Direct Connect: 137*131747*8
Email spfister at dps.k12.oh.us

>>> Mathias Spoerr <mathias.spoerr at at.ibm.com> 7/24/2008 5:53 AM >>>
you cannot configure the same IP address on two interfaces, except one is
shutdown. I would suggest the following procedure:
* use a new name for the new outside interface, shut it down, and
configure IP, name, sec level...
* do a "show run | i outside" to see where the name of the outside
interface is used (static, route...)
* delete the config for the old outside interface and reconfigure the
static, route, global... commands to the new interface name
* if you want to have "outside" as name for the new interface, then rename
it

Mathias