[c-nsp] Surviving denial of service from certain IPs

Arie Vayner (avayner) avayner at cisco.com
Fri Jul 25 09:25:57 EDT 2008

Mario,

It all depends on which platform you are using.
Also, it is important to say whether the 100Mbps attack is using 64 byte
packets or larger packets. This is the case as routers usually care more
about packet per second than bits per second.

I would say that uRPF would be much more efficient if its possible to
implement it, as it is done in a more early stage of packet processing.
Also, if you can avoid ACL lookups, and use uRPF (which uses the CEF
tree structure), you gain performance.

This all changes a bit when we talk about hardware based platforms which
use TCAM. There both options may present the same performance.

Arie