[c-nsp] PagpP vs LACP on Etherchannels between Cisco 7609 and Cisco ME3400's

Chris Kilian Chris.Kilian at aolbb.co.uk
Fri Jul 25 11:02:54 EDT 2008

Hi All

I posted a few days ago about some issues that I was having with setting up a port channel between a Cisco 7609 and a Cisco ME3400.I have resolved this issue by using the following on all physical interfaces.

channel-group mode on

This brought up the port-channel right away and things appear to be working fine, my question now is this, as this is the only channel setting on the physical interfaces no channel-protocol set at all, yet if I bounce one of the physical interfaces I am seeing debug messages detailing PagP. Would this therefore mean that despite not having a channel-group protocol set it defaults to use PagP.  The message when doing a debug etherchannel all and dropping one physcial in the port channel was this.

Jul 25 14:43:50: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface GigabitEthernet1/6, changed state to down
20w3d: FEC: pagp_switch_is_in_port_channel: Gi1/6 is not part of any agport
20w3d: FEC: pagp_switch_is_in_port_channel: Gi1/6 is not part of any agport
20w3d: FEC: pagp_switch_is_in_port_channel: Gi1/6 is not part of any agport

when unshutting the interface the following was seen

20w3d: FEC: pagp_switch_is_in_port_channel: Gi1/6 is not part of any agport
20w3d: FEC: pagp_switch_is_in_port_channel: Gi1/6 is not part of any agport
20w3d: FEC: pagp_switch_is_in_port_channel: Gi1/6 is not part of any agport

Just as an addition the reason that we cant use LACP as we wanted is due to IOS limitations in the Metro Access IOS image running on the ME3400's only allowing up to 4 ports as NNI ports with the remainder as UNI, by upgrading to a full release of th metro access IOS you can enable all ports as NNO ports, as we have in excess of 100 ME3400's this is not desirable.

Chris Kilian

This communication together with any attachments transmitted with it ("this E-Mail") is intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain information which is privileged and confidential. If the reader of this E-Mail is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this E-Mail is strictly prohibited. Addressees should check this E-mail for viruses. The Company makes no representations as regards the absence of viruses in this E-Mail. If you have received this E-Mail in error please notify the sender immediately by e-mail. Please then immediately delete, erase or otherwise destroy this E-Mail and any copies of it. Any opinions expressed in this E-Mail are those of the author and do not necessarily constitute the views of the Company. Nothing in this E-Mail shall bind the Company in any contract or obligation. For the purposes of this E-Mail "the Company" means The Carphone Warehouse Group Plc and/or any of its subsidiaries. The Carphone Warehouse Group Plc (Registered in England No. 3253714) 1 Portal Way, London W3 6RS.

AOL Broadband, [AOLBroadband.co.uk] [AOLbb.co.uk] and AOL logos are trade marks of AOL LLC and are used under licence. The AOL Broadband service is provided to customers in the UK by TPH Services SARL, a Carphone Warehouse plc company.