[c-nsp] IOS SLB support

Frank Bulk - iNAME frnkblk at iname.com
Tue Jul 29 22:56:04 EDT 2008

It looks like IOS SLB support for the RSP720's made it into the SRC code
line:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipapp/configuration/guide/ipapp_slb.html

We just upgraded to SRB4 a month ago on TAC's advice to see if it resolves
an intermittent (once every few months) critical bug.  If we can upgrade to
SRC and save ourselves $10K+ in redundant load balancers (traffic rates
would be 2-4 Mbps), I would like to do that, but if SRC is generally "too
new", then perhaps I need to reconsider.

My initial design calls for two servers, each with two virtual machines.
The first VM on the first server would be running the same services as the
first VM on the second server.  I would like each VM to communicate both
directly to the other 3 VMs and also to the SLB.  Based on my research, it
looks like I need to run dispatch mode, but not only that, put each the VM
on a server on different networks.  Do I need to set up a trunk to the
virtual server host, and break out there, or can I just assign a secondary
network to each VLAN?

               _____ A-1
              /      A-2
hosts---7609-S
                     B-2

A-1 and B-1 mirror each other, and so do A-2 and B-2.  A-1 and B-1 need to
be able to talk to the virtual IP that balances between to A-2 and B-2, and
the hosts need to talk to the virtual IP that balances A-1 and B-1 and the
other virtual IP that balances A-2 and B-2.

Frank