[c-nsp] Giving customers access to your gear.

Michael K. Smith - Adhost mksmith at adhost.com
Wed Jun 4 03:13:14 EDT 2008

Hello Richey:

I think RO SNMP access is fine, and just make sure you sanitize the configuration of all "interesting" data like passwords, dynamic routing protocol configurations, etc.  If you are worried that SNMP access will create performance issues, draft up a letter for them to sign indicating that any outages or performance issues that are a result of SNMP polling will not be credited against the customer's SLA.

By the way, I'm assuming they are the only customer on this box.  If that is not the case then I would say no to unfiltered SNMP and the config file, indicating to them that the device terminates services for other customer and cannot therefore be shared with them.

Regards,

Mike