[c-nsp] Giving customers access to your gear.

John Osmon josmon at rigozsaurus.com
Wed Jun 4 11:04:04 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 09:12:33AM -0500, Rick Martin wrote:
[...]
>  What is your routing policy when a customer owns their own router and
> connects it to your network?

We try to stick to the idea that everyone gets s single connection
to us (ethernet, T1, DSL, whatever).  We expect a layer 3 device
on on that connection, and we'll route them any/all address space
that they can justify.

So -- our customers have either a single host, or a router touching
us at all times.

Back to the original question -- customer access to our routers is
limited to packets they want routed.  BGP is a legitimate exception.

When customers have been adamant about having access to the "other"
end of the connection, I've offered to co-lo a router for them, and
let them run their own access circuit.  I don't recall anyone
ever taking us up on that offer.