[c-nsp] rspan from a cat 2950

Daniel Hooper dhooper at emerge.net.au
Thu Jun 5 00:54:58 EDT 2008

Hi,

Can someone explain the role of the reflector port when configuring an
rspan session on a 2950 switch?

Does the port need to be up?

>From what I can work out from the doco the port is put into a loopback
state so no device connected to it will pass any packets.

I have a remote switch, 70 metre's up a tower, it's a logistical
nightmare to get to, I need to capture traffic on trunk port Fas 0/10,
from my readings this should be enough to achieve what I want:

Fas 0/10 - The interface I want to monitor
VLAN 66 - an unused VLAN I want to send the output to
Fas 0/11 - An unused interface

Monitor session 1 source interface FastEthernet 0/10 both
Monitor session 1 destination remote vlan 66 reflector-port FastEthernet
0/11

I'm hoping I can then configure an access-port for vlan 66 on another
switch upstream and capture frames from Fas0/10 on the 2950.

Thanks

-Dan