[c-nsp] IOS JUNOS MPLS-TE interoperability

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Thu Jun 5 03:11:03 EDT 2008

Rubens Kuhl Jr. <> wrote on Thursday, June 05, 2008 2:41 AM:

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone has experience with MPLS-TE interoperability between IOS
> (specifically ME6500, but it's probably like any other 12.2SX IOS) and
> JUNOS (recent/stable/good-for-service-providers version) ?
>
> I was wondering about 2 cenarios in particular:
> 1) JUNOS as head-end or tail-end, but not middle-point
> 2) JUNOS as head-end, tail-end and middel-point
>
> All routers would be in the same OSPF area 0, within the same AS #; TE
> is done by explicit naming of both primary, secondary paths, and a
> dynamic backup path. AUTOBW is desired. On IOS, traffic is injected on
> the tunnel using static route to the loopback address; OSPF contains
> only link states and loopbacks, directly-connected, customer static
> routes or customer dynamic routes are propagated via IBGP.

The main Interop issue I'm aware of is TE-FRR protection where IOS
acting as a headend needs to be configured with the "node-protect"
option ("tunnel mpls traffic-eng fast-reroute node-protect") in order
for JunOS midpoints/PLR to be able to protect this tunnel using a NNHOP
backup (without this knob, only link protection is achieved).
Stuff like auto-bw or methods to steer traffic down the tunnel are all
local to the headend.

So if you're not using TE-FRR (and I'm not sure if you do reading the
above), you should be fine.

	oli