[c-nsp] CPU FLOPS Performance / Utilization

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Jun 5 03:23:56 EDT 2008

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 03:05:03AM +0200, Mehmet Suzen wrote:
> I'm after the information on conventional floating point operation per
> second (FLOPS) of Cisco Routers, let say mid-range to
> enterprise models. Pointer to detailed documents will be appreciated
> greatly.

I doubt that this information is easily available somewhere - because
floating point stuff is not a very typical function for a router to do,
so "nobody really cares".

OTOH, if you know the CPU and speed, you should be able to lookup the
FLOPS values for that combination yourself.

To give you some "lower bound" and "upper bound" figures:

low end:    Cisco 2500: motorola 68030 CPU, 20 MHz
mid range:  Cisco 7200/NPE-225: MIPS R527x CPU, 262 MHz
high end:   Cisco 7200/NPE-G1:  SB-1 CPU, 700 MHz
			(Broadcom chip, 2 MIPS CPUs + 3x GigE on chip)

you'll notice that router CPUs tend to be *slow*, compared to a
off-the-shelf quad-core PC.

High-end routers usually have hardware to move the packets around, so
the CPU isn't really needed for that, and floating point performance is
completely irrelevant for router purposes.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de