[c-nsp] bgp router

Alexandre Snarskii snar at paranoia.ru
Fri Jun 6 13:04:05 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 09:21:51AM -0700, bill fumerola wrote:
> > Why is it, btw, that IOS doesn't use both CPU kernels there? Or did I miss
> > an IOS version that started doing that? (still on 12.3T here)
>
> i believe the 2nd CPU can only be enabled for some very specific features:
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/7300/install_and_upgrade/7301/7301_install_and_config_guide/5418c.html#wp1154543
>
> %%%%%%
> The Cisco 7301 includes a dual-CPU-core BCM 1250. All Cisco IOS images
> for the Cisco 7301 platform use CPU-core 0. CPU-core 1 allows acceleration
> of specific feature sets via separately purchased special software. As
> of Cisco IOS Release 12.3(14)YM, multi-processor forwarding (MPF)
> accelerates the following broadband features: L2TP Access Concentrator
> (LAC), L2TP Network Server (LNS), and PPP Terminated Aggregation (PTA).
> Port adapters are not supported in the multi-processor forwarding (MPF)
> path on processor 1.
> %%%%%%

As stated in this letter:
http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/2006-December/036864.html
MPF support is discontinued in IOS.

[...]
> there were murmurs of a team at cisco porting freebsd mips, which would
> have given native SMP support. however, all the people who were supposedly
> working on that no longer work for cisco (or now work in groups whose
> bailiwick is clearly not core OS coding). read into that what you will.

I suppose, You've heard not about Cisco, but about Juniper.
They ported FreeBSD to MIPS and then donated MIPS code back to FreeBSD:
http://www.freebsd.org/news/newsflash.html

25 December: Juniper Networks, Inc. (http://www.juniper.net) has donated a
reference FreeBSD port to the MIPS architecture to The FreeBSD Project.
This code will be used as one reference for creating an official
project-supported FreeBSD/MIPS offering