[c-nsp] 12.2SXH 'archive' / Configuration Management

Eric Van Tol eric at atlantech.net
Mon Jun 9 07:02:30 EDT 2008

We use a combination of RANCID and Solarwinds Cirrus.  RANCID is great for most popular vendor equipment, but only pulls configs and certain command outputs.  It's also a pain to try and configure with non-out-of-the-box-supported equipment.

Solarwinds Cirrus works on *anything* that has a telnet/SSH login (even most menu-based systems) and can also track changes in realtime through the use of SNMP traps.  It can download configs via SSH/telnet/TFTP, track changes, poll devices, perform inventory on certain MIBs, and gives you a single source for multiple device configuration changes.  For instance, it's password change time again and rather than SSH into 75 devices one by one, we just configure Cirrus to do it once and let it run.  It's a big time saver.  The downside is, it's expensive.

-evt