[c-nsp] WAN Simulator

Tim Franklin tim at pelican.org
Wed Jun 11 05:30:06 EDT 2008

On Wed, June 11, 2008 2:14 am, aaron wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a decent free WAN simulator application? I would
> like to simulate our WAN so that I can test some WAN acceleration
> hardware appliances in a lab environment.

If you don't need actual WAN interfaces, just something that introduces
delay / jitter / drops / bw-limiting like a WAN, I've had a lot of success
with BSD's dummynet.  Bridge two Ethernet interfaces together, and use
ipfw to introduce all kinds of interesting WAN-like behaviours.

http://www.scalabledesign.com/articles/dummynet.html was a useful intro.

Regards,
Tim.