[c-nsp] 7200s (VXRs and not) and MPLS capabilities

Sean Shepard sean.shepard at ewavepartners.com
Wed Jun 11 19:23:36 EDT 2008

In the past we have used several older non-VXR 7200s with NPE-200s for raw
T1 aggregation onto channelized DS3s. And also some older CT3 cards that
don't work with any IOS (as near as we know) after the 12.2 line (ie: 12.3
and above - no joy ... I think we have 12.2(31) on some machines).  We don't
do any MPLS but we do have a lot of bonded (MLPPP) T1s.  We do not use them
for BGP (we will likely be utilizing Linux based routers for that in the
near future anyway). With the older 12.2 IOS there are a couple of items I
thought I'd pass along:

(1) You can't apply Policy Maps with a Priority Que to an MLPPP connection.
For RTP (for example) you have to use the "IP RTP PRIORITY" command.

(2) If you are using an older IOS, there is a bug with PPP where the router
won't negotiate (I believe it is) maximum RECEIVE unit (MRU). This has kept
us from using some devices on bonded MLPPP connections as the PPP link won't
come up with the MRU conflict. I believe it was fixed somewhere in the 12.3
chain.

(3) Each Chan DS3 card is considered a high-speed interface so if you drop a
FE interface (like via IO-FE card) and two Chan DS3 cards you're at your at
the recommended allowance of "3" for the old NPE-100/150/200 models.  We've
run five high-speeds on an NPE-200 with no issues other than getting barked
at on startup but probably wasn't passing more than 40 mbps through the
device at any given moment.

Hope there is something there you can use.  Other than chewing up rack
space, they did prove to be cost-effective for the purpose you stated. A
whole router stocked with the older CT3 cards we used was (is) half the cost
of a single refurb PA-MC-T3 card.

-Sean