[c-nsp] OSPF on Secondary IP addresses.

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Thu Jun 12 01:43:30 EDT 2008

On Wednesday 11 June 2008, Jared Mauch wrote:

> 	No, you need to utilize the primary IP address for your
> routing protocols.  Having cisco enforce this also will
> help you make fewer mistakes in your network
> configuration, or overcomplicate the topology.

Agree, we find secondary IP addressing a symptom of bad
network design, particularly in IP address assignment and
scaling.

The only area where we've seen secondary IP addresses to be
nearly unavoidable, is when co-lo customers with no router
have to use our co-lo router as a first-Layer-3 hop. As
their server farms grow, and they maintain one or two ports
on our end, expanding their assignments would require
secondary IP addresses.

Otherwise, keep the core clean. Avoid secondary IP
addresses.

Cheers,

Mark.