[c-nsp] ip multicast rate-limit

Zenon Mousmoulas zmousm at admin.grnet.gr
Wed Jun 18 13:19:39 EDT 2008

Hi,

No problem with any delay, I'm glad you answered.

The configuration you suggest is fine but the question is (and has
been all along) whether this will police individual traffic flows or
the aggregate traffic matched by the acl? I don't know for sure, but I
believe it is more likely to be the second case.
If so, I think this could not be a sufficient solution because someone
could still effectively "drown" SAP by sending a lot of traffic to the
group, which would "compete" with the rest of the legitimate SAP
traffic for the same 100 Mbps. Furthermore, due to the nature of SAP,
letting such a high speed flow pass through the router and reach the
end systems (SAP listeners) would still have a detrimental effect on
them, since they only expect to see and process low bitrate traffic.
For these reasons we probably need a solution that will rate-limit/
police each flow individually. The interface configuration command "ip
multicast rate-limit" used to do this, but we need something that will
work on platforms where this is not supported, and also perhaps a more
generic approach. I don't know what that solution could be though...
I'm afraid that something could be micropolicing, which I think is
quite "expensive" and only supported on a small number of systems/
configurations.

I hope you can look into this and verify or falsify these assumptions.
Thanks again for your help.

Best regards,
Z.

On 18 Ιουν 2008, at 6:54 ΜΜ, Arie Vayner (avayner) wrote:

> Zenon,
>
> Sorry for the delay, as I was a bit overloaded.
>
> Looking at the following link, I see that SDP/SAP is assigned the
> range of 224.2.0.0/16:
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk828/technologies_white_paper09186a00802d4643.shtml#wp1005088
>
> So you can use the configuration example below to rate limit it to
> 100Kbps:
>
> class-map match-all SDP-SAP-MCAST
>  match access-group name SDP-SAP-MCAST
> !
> policy-map GENERIC-INGRESS
>  class SDP-SAP-MCAST
>   police 100000
> !
> ! Should be applied on any untrusted interface
> interface GigaEthernet0/1
> service-policy input GENERIC-INGRESS
> !
> ip access-list extended SDP-SAP-MCAST
> permit ip any 224.2.0.0 0.0.255.255
> !
>
> Actually, in your case I would recommend building a more general
> policy, filtering any unwanted multicast traffic. You could do it by
> building a longer ACL with groups which you should not be there.
> The link above could be a good reference.
>
> Thanks
> Arie

>>> JAE12035DJ5
>>> 11/0 1xOC48 POS/RPR SPA          SPA-1XOC48POS/RPR  JAE11441NKV  2.3