[c-nsp] TCP behavior under strict CAR rate-limiting

Christopher Hunt chunt at reachone.com
Thu Jun 19 18:07:27 EDT 2008

Bill, Sake et al.,
    Thanks for taking the time to check into this.  I've posted a zip
containing the orginal .pcap/.cap files from both ends of the test plus
the .txt translations and also a MS Word document containing the router
output, testing results etc.   The file is at
http://users.reachone.com/drsmooth/SmallBurst.zip .
    I am familiar with TCP's concept of Slow Start, but my understanding
is that it is the RWIN that is slow to start.  The packet does show the
first packet as 24 Byte payload, but even then the client RWIN is 5888
(scaled x7) (CentOS running 2.6.18 kernel).   The "server" is XP Pro
running an RWIN 65535 with scaling disabled.  As far as I can tell, TCP
slow start is not happenning.  What other signs of Slow Start should i
be looking for?

Christopher Hunt